sports softball

Pitching prevails in Georgia

The IU softball team improved to 10-8 after winning two of the three games at the Bulldog Invitational in Athens, Ga. The Hoosiers defeated the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga and James Madison University but fell short against No. 1 Georgia. Weather was a factor, as the Hoosiers had a game against Campbell University and a rematch with No. 1 Georgia canceled Saturday due to rain.

Once again, the Hoosiers fell short against a top-ranked team, but junior Lindsay Callanan said she feels the team is right where it needs to be.

“I think we could have done a little better against Georgia, but it’s going to come eventually,” Callanan said. “We did a lot better at adjusting this weekend in our at-bats, and I think if we would have played Georgia again we would have beat them for sure.”

One of the strongest and most consistent aspects of the Hoosiers this year has been pitching, which continued in Georgia, as they only gave up three runs in three games.

Senior pitcher Morgan Melloh said the key to the strong pitching has been positivity.

“Just staying strong and if you get down and you have to pick yourself back up and talk to your team, you can’t let yourself get down on a call or a hit,” Melloh said. “That’s key, is to stay strong and trust your defense behind you.”

— Dennis Glade
dmglade@indiana.edu