Little 500 riders ask for changes in rules

Eric Young hasn’t broken a single IU Student Foundation rule. But his involvement with a pro team is starting to raise questions about his amateur status.

The Cutters cyclist went to California last week and rode with the Bissell Team, a professional cycling team that competes in road races against other pro-cycling teams. An uproar in the Little 500 community first began when pictures of Young riding with the team appeared on the Internet, wearing a red and white Bissell jersey.

Young caused a stir in the cycling community after last year’s race, when he decided to become a Category II rider.

IUSF’s Little 500 Rules of Eligibility section II.I states that a student with no cycling experience prior to attending IU can participate in the Little 500 and can upgrade to a category I or II rider for only a year. That rider must ride with their team from the previous year.

Young has followed these rules and on paper he isn’t part of the Bissel team. However, 16 riders met last week to talk about Young’s action and the amateur status.

They walked away with a petition that asks IUSF to deem any rider who has “participated in official team rides, training camps or practices with a professional cycling team” or “accepted or used equipment given to him/her by a professional cycling team” as a professional cyclist.

If IUSF accepts the petition, no changes will take place until the 2012 race. Rumors still continue to surround the race, but no rider has been proven ineligible.
For continuing coverage, check back to the IDS after spring break.