Beck's best bet

There is a murmur in the world of media that Glenn Beck may establish his own network.

It’s a controversial move. The man infamous for extravagant displays of emotion as he waxes poetic love for this fine country has made a name for himself on Fox News. It’s been a mutually beneficial match for both parties involved, but all good things most come to an end at some point, and I for one support the separation.

There are no two ways around it. Glenn Beck is an entertaining guy. He hails from the world of Top-40 radio; he knows what it takes to get people engaged. One can argue about his authenticity, intentions and moral standings on the manner, but there is little to dispute when it comes to his success as a television personality. 

That is why Beck and his fans could only benefit from the brand being spun off onto its own entity. Beck and Fox News have been quibbling like an old married couple that have forgotten why they got together in the first place — so maybe it is time for Beck to try the single life again.

It makes some sense for Beck to go the way of Oprah and develop his own brand.

Besides, he’s no more news-oriented than any other celebrity — his particular brand of  entertainment is fueled by sentiment, not fact, and by disengaging with Fox News, perhaps his audience will finally catch on.

Beck already has an empire online. Fans can subscribe to exclusive web content so that they are never without their fix. In effect, Beck is an effective pioneer when it comes to establishing his presence on the World Wide Web. He can follow in the footsteps of Arianna Huffington — creating a media empire focused around him that is properly viewed as both entertainment and informative but is also not misconstrued  as reporting.

The contract that Fox News has with Glenn Beck expires in December, and neither entity is ready to discuss details just yet. However, it is evident that options for departure are on the table. This separation would be a mutually beneficial decision for all parties involved and also heralds the coming of a new media age. 

In this chapter of the digital revolution it is possible for entrepreneurial talent to be independent of the networks that used to be essential for the sake of penetration. The Internet offers a new model, one that allows for entertainment to be wide-reaching without risking the biases of old establishments.

­— danfleis@indiana.edu