‘Vagina Monologues’ to fund Middle Way House

Vagina Monologues

What do “The Vagina Monologues,” V-Day Bloomington and Middle Way House have in common?  

The answer: a cause to empower women.

On Saturday, the Buskirk-Chumley Theater will present a production of “The Vagina Monologues” in celebration of V-Day Bloomington, with proceeds from the show going to Middle Way House. V-Day Bloomington is part of a global movement that works to end violence against women. Middle Way House’s mission is also to end violence in the lives of women and children.   

Co-producer and co-director of “The Vagina Monologues,” Julie Thomas, said V-Day, Middle Way House and the show itself work together to give women a strong voice in society.

“What Middle Way House is about is ending violence against women, and that’s exactly what V-Day organization does,” she said. “The idea is to raise awareness, educate and entertain at the same time.”

Thomas said this is the first time she has worked with a local Bloomington cast. Cast members range from IU students and elected officials to business owners and realtors.
Cast member Kyla Cox said the most unique aspect of the show is its ability to shed light on issues that are not normally addressed.

“It really takes voices that may otherwise have been marginalized and not heard and brings them out in a very, very public setting, and I think that is something very key and important to the Middle Way vision,” she said.

Toby Strout, executive director of Middle Way House, said she has seen various productions of “The Vagina Monologues” nine times, but she looks forward to seeing this one because of her close connections with the cast.

“I’m looking forward to seeing people that I know in their off-stage life, performing on stage with what is very challenging material,” she said.

Thomas, who has volunteered for Middle Way House for almost 16 years, also said the show will provide community members with a chance to support Middle Way House, whether through offering volunteer help or purchasing ticket donations.  

“Funding is so short right now for Middle Way, and this will give community members a chance to say, ‘I want to do more for Middle Way,’” she said. “If they don’t know anything about Middle Way House, this is a great way to learn about it and to give a little and come away with a new appreciation for the work that they do.”

Tickets for the 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. shows are on sale at the Buskirk-Chumley box office. Prices are $10 for balcony and $20 for the main floor for the 3 p.m. show and $25 for balcony and $35 for main floor for the 8 p.m. show.

Thomas said she promises the people attending the show will have an unforgettable experience.

“It’s a really fun show for a group of women to go to, and a great date show,” she said. “It’s not male bashing either. It’s really about embracing the strength, the power and the mystery of women’s lives.”