More than 100 lbs of marijuana found during routine inspection

Weed

At 11:15 a.m. Monday, the Indiana State Police Scale Facility began operations as they would on any normal day.

By 11:20 a.m., Indiana State Police Commercial Motor Vehicle Inspector Joe Dravigne had performed a routine truck inspection that led to the discovery of 125 pounds of marijuana and $1,187 in cash.

Dravigne had signaled an eastbound 2007 Kenworth Tractor pulling a box trailer to enter the scale facility. Trucks and other large vehicles are regularly weighed in scale
facilities for safety concerns.

During the inspection, Dravigne noticed several irregularities involving the driver, his cargo and paperwork.

Dravigne requested assistance from ISP Commercial Motor Vehicle Area Coordinator Cindy Gray, who was also working at the facility.

After further investigation, Dravigne and Gray requested help from Terre Haute’s law enforcement canine unit.

Terre Haute Police Department Canine Handler Brent Long and his dog Shadow arrived moments later and began a walk around of the tractor trailer. The dog alerted the handler as he was escorted around the exterior of the trailer.

Dravigne and Commercial Motor Vehicle Master Trooper Matt Ames entered the trailer and inspected the load. Inside the rear one-third of the trailer and between pallets of nutritional drinks were 12 bundles of marijuana wrapped in plastic.

A masking agent had been used inside the bundles in an attempt to disguise the scent of the marijuana from police canines.

The driver was identified as Harry Lawrence Wilson III, 44, of Baltimore.

Wilson was taken to the Vigo County Jail and preliminarily charged with possession of marijuana with intent to deliver (more than 10 pounds), a Class B felony. He currently has no bond.

How much is too much?

Dealing or possession of marijuana in an amount less than 30 grams is a Class A misdemeanor, which carries a sentence of up to one year in jail and a fine of up to $5,000.

Dealing, possessing or growing marijuana in an amount of 30 grams to 10 pounds is a felony and carries a sentence of six months to three years in jail as well as a $10,000 fine.

Dealing or growing more than 10 pounds of marijuana is also a felony and carries a sentence of two to eight years in jail and a fine of $10,000.