Hoosiers post best single-round total in 13th place finish

After going into the final 18 holes of competition Tuesday in the Central District Invitational in 13th place, the IU women’s golf team held suit and defended its position, finishing 13th with a final round score of 299, the team’s best single-round total this spring.

The team began the tournament Monday at the River Wilderness Country Club in Parrish, Fla., playing two 18-hole rounds the first day.

IU coach Clint Wallman said he saw promise in the team’s first round of play when it shot 304, but then it made some mistakes and faltered into an afternoon round of 312.

“It was an up-and-down day,” Wallman said in a press release. “I thought they did good job in the first round to battle back after a bad start. They were able to grind out a decent round. I felt good heading into the second round, but we didn’t execute and made compound errors.”

No. 1 golfer Lindsay Gahm led the second-day charge, moving up the board from 22nd to tie for 15th, posting two-under 70 in the final round. The freshman ended Monday’s play with two rounds of 75 but improved her final round to continue her streak of five top-25 finishes this season.

Junior Kristtini Cain followed Gahm in a tie for 41st after she improved upon her Monday rounds of 76 and 79. Cain shot a 1-over 73 the final round for a total of 228.

Senior Cecilia Orevik finished four strokes back in a tie for 55th with a final score of 232 (76-77-79).  

The team now has three weeks off from competition before it travels to Flagstaff, Ariz., for the Lumberjack Shootout.