Chocolate week events canceled

Chocolate

Even the warmth of a mug of hot chocolate could not deter the winter storm that blew through Bloomington on Tuesday and Wednesday, leaving Week of Chocolate events canceled in its wake.

Both the Citizens Advocacy of South Central Indiana’s Inaugural Chocolate Luncheon and the Girls Inc.’s Chocolate Olympics were canceled due to the inclement weather.

The Inaugural Chocolate Luncheon was originally scheduled for Tuesday afternoon.
“The executive board met and decided that with the inclement weather we should move it to next week,” CASCI board member Lisa Morrison said.

Both the keynote speaker and host had to travel from out of town, which also contributed to the decision to reschedule.

“A lot of time and organization went into calling everyone to notify them about the cancellation and rescheduling,” Morrison said.

The luncheon was rescheduled for Wednesday. It will be at the same times and location as before: 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at The Showers Inn Bed and Breakfast.

“Showers Inn was so supportive of our need to reschedule and everything went seamlessly,” Morrison said.

No money or supplies were lost in the rescheduling process, Morrison said.

The money raised through ticket sales at the luncheon will benefit the New Partner Support Program, which is a project of CASCI.

The program supports the disabled in the community by pairing them with volunteers.
The Chocolate Olympics were also canceled Wednesday, Feb. 2.

According to www.girlsinc-monroe.org, Girls Inc.’s closing policy coincides with the Monroe County Community School Corporation schedule. Because schools were closed Wednesday, Girls Inc. remained closed as of Thursday.

Executive Director of Girls Inc. Lee Ann Jourdan said there are no plans to reschedule the event.

“This event isn’t one of our biggest fundraisers during the year,” Jourdan said. “It’s really more of a family-friendly event that we do to partner with the Week of Chocolate sponsor, Options.”

Because the event takes place in a Girls Inc. gymnasium and uses already-owned gym equipment, money was not lost on this event.

Though the event was canceled this year, Girls Inc. coordinators plan to work again next year at the Week of Chocolate.

“The Chocolate Olympics always gives us a chance to open our doors to the community,” Jourdan said.