Breaking up with Mubarak

Breaking up is hard to do.

But, let’s face it, at some point in our lives we are going have to deal with a nasty breakup or some other big change. It’s an inevitable reality that comes with life. As time goes on, we grow discontented with the constant and yearn for something new.

However, the problem becomes how to effectively end what is known, move on and create a new identity almost simultaneously. It’s difficult to change yourself, but it’s even harder to communicate that change to others in a mature way. This process proves to be stressful and at times a bit frightening, but deep within, you know it’s necessary.

On Jan. 25, the Egyptian people decided to formally break up with Hosni Mubarak and his corrupt administration. They did so through peaceful protests in the heart of Cairo.

This mature breakup reflected the ideological shift in consciousness that occurred in the minds of Egyptians. Expressing these opinions has been stressful and frightening for them. They have had to throw out everything they know and basically try to start from scratch so their voices will be heard and respected.

Prior to the actual riots, many Egyptian youths united on Facebook. They did what everyone ready to initiate a breakup does: confer with others. If you’ve ever broken up with someone, you know what I’m saying. You ask your friends what they think and get their opinions before taking action.

In this case, they found out that their peers felt the same and this support system gave them the extra push they needed. They joined together and took to the streets to fight for personal freedom and drastic changes in their political systems.

This united front has worked well so far. Yet, like most breakups, Egyptians are unsure of what comes next.

It’s easy to say that something needs to end, but coming up with a solution to the problems that plagued you in the past is very difficult. It takes time and thought, but most of all it takes faith. Faith that the disorder caused by the breakup will indeed lead to something productive.

Believing in positive change can also be difficult, especially when confronted with the current realities of uncertainty occurring in Tahrir Square. In this uncertain time, only one thing remains certain: Change will come to Egypt in one form or another.

In times like these, things change. Revolutions are times when everything you think you know goes out the window. With this uncertainty, people realize what they need to preserve and what needs to be discontinued. Through this process, Egypt will experience social, political and economic changes that will affect the ways that it
engages with its own citizens and the world.

After a big breakup such as this, a shift in consciousness remains inevitable. The ways in which both parties respond to the breakup will define who they are and help them adjust to their present and future issues.

We can learn a lot from the Egyptian demonstrations. Whether you’re considering breaking up with someone you know isn’t right for you or trying to forge a completely new political system for your country, the demonstrations remind us that change may make life difficult today, but it will allow you a chance for a better tomorrow. So take a chance and just break up with what you both know isn’t working.

E-mail: tmkennel@indiana.edu