Monday, June 17

Blue Man Group brings renowned show to IU Auditorium

Blue Man Group

In the midst of what Indiana residents are dubbing “snowpacolypse 2011,” most Indiana University students are keeping close to home and hoping for a snow day.

However, the one thing patrons of the IU Auditorium were hoping wouldn’t be canceled was Tuesday’s performance of the Blue Man Group.

“Contractually, the only way the show could have been canceled was if Indiana declared a state of emergency,” IU Auditorium Director Doug Booher said. “And we were very lucky that that hasn’t happened.”

According to local forecasts, the brunt of the ice was set to accumulate Tuesday and into the night, which caused a flood of ticket-holders to call the box office for refunds.

“We have had many people ask to exchange their tickets for the second performance,” Booher said. “But because that show is nearly sold out, our box office has been scattering to accommodate everyone unable to make the first show.”

Tuesday was the first of two performances of Blue Man Group at the auditorium, and Booher said he has been working diligently with the University and Monroe County to ensure the safety of the patrons.

“We have been in contact with the IU emergency team since Sunday afternoon and will continue to work with them until tomorrow night’s performance,” Booher said.

Blue Man Group was formed in 1987 and has since performed to audiences all around the world. The group’s reputation as one of the most entertaining shows out there is why Spencer, Ind., resident Jim Chambers said he chose to risk the icy conditions to attend last night’s performance.

“When we heard that the auditorium wasn’t planning on canceling the show, I knew it was worth the drive,” Chambers said. “We have always wanted to see this unique show, so why not take our chances?”

IU students were equally willing to make the icy journey to the middle of campus thanks to salting crews and the availability of auditorium shuttle busses.

“Walking to the auditorium wasn’t as bad as I expected it to be,” IU freshman Max Hollingsworth said. “The heated sidewalks outside of Eigenmann also definitely helped.”

Tuesday was Hollingsworth’s second time seeing Blue Man Group, and he was excited to share the experience with his parents.

“Their drive down wasn’t too bad,” Hollingsworth said. “But the drive back to Louisville might be difficult.”

With all the help Monroe County and the IU emergency crew can offer, Booher said he anticipates the second performance of Blue Man Group to go on as safely as possible.

Freshman Terese Hullinger said a little bad weather shouldn’t be enough to keep people from experiencing this truly entertaining show.