Men and women set 10 new pool records in Louisville

The IU swim teams have gotten into the habit of getting revenge this season.
After a loss to Michigan earlier in the year, the women came back and won 157-127 against the Wolverines on Jan. 8. On Friday, the men were on a mission to bring Louisville down after a loss to the team last season.

Both teams set five pool records each en route to convincing victories in a dual meet against Louisville and Virginia Tech on Friday in Louisville. The men claimed a 176-124 victory over No. 18 Louisville and a 189.5-110.5 win over Virginia Tech. The No. 14-ranked IU women, in their final meet before the Big Ten Championships, also won convincingly, besting No. 16 Louisville 181-119 and Virginia Tech 223-77.

“We imposed our will on them,” coach Ray Looze said. “You hear that in basketball a lot, and we just took it right to them from the get-go and ended that competition pretty early. Not even halfway through, the meet just felt over.”

Senior Illya Larin (500 and 1,000-yard freestyle) and sophomore Eric Ress (100 and 200-yard backstroke) both broke pool records in two races. The meet ended with the No. 13-ranked Hoosier men’s squad setting a pool record in the 200-yard freestyle relay with a winning time of 1:29.76.

In their last meet before the Big Ten Championships — which are to be held at home Feb. 16-19 — the IU women also set records in Louisville.

Junior Alyssa Vavra set two pool records with victories in the 1,000-yard freestyle and the 400-yard individual medley. Freshman Lindsay Vrooman’s pool record came in the 500-yard freestyle, while junior Brittany Strumbel earned hers in the 200-yard freestyle and sophomore Taylor Wohrley broke the 200-yard backstroke pool record.

“They’re as ready as they’re going to be (for Big Ten’s),” Looze said. “We’re in a preparation sport, so your season of training dictates how you’re going to do at the end of the season, not these last few weeks.”