Monday, June 17

Buskirk kicks off PRIDE weekend film festival

The lights on the marquee at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater often illuminate the sidewalk on Kirkwood Avenue with a warm white glow to advertise an event. But last night, the sign was painted a different color.

The PRIDE Film Festival kicked off its four-day-long celebration last night, and judging by the rainbow of colored lights that now frame the famous Indiana sign, it wanted the entire community to know.

“Ladies, gentlemen and everyone in between,” Bloomington Mayor Mark Kruzan said as he stood on stage in front of the packed theater. “I am proud.”

The crowd erupted into applause and thunderous cheers.

“I am proud to be the mayor of a city whose character is so unique and strong in its own right,” Kruzan continued. “We have such a supportive GLBTQ community in Bloomington, and I am proud.”

The acceptance of the Bloomington community is the reason partners and Bloomington residents Glenn Lassiter and Jim Doud said they chose to retire in Monroe County.

Lassiter and Doud are life partners of 35 years and have supported PRIDE for seven years.

“When we moved to Bloomington, the openness of the community truly floored us,”
Lassiter said.

The pair also agreed that through The PRIDE Film Festival, the present generation of GLBTQ people can experience something they never could in their youth.

“Through these films, we see pieces of ourselves,” Doud said. “We could never be so open when we were that age. The youth of Bloomington is very lucky.”

Another patron, IU alumna Rene Henry, has returned to Bloomington to experience PRIDE for her fourth year.

Henry said she has always been moved by the diversity at PRIDE.

“I am always very interested to see the differentiation between the films,” Henry said. “There really is something for everyone, whether you are gay, straight, bi or anything in between.”

As Kruzan concluded his speech, he simply said, “Five letters, 25 films and four days.”

PRIDE events will continue throughout the weekend. Tickets are still available through the Buskirk-Chumley box office or at www.pridefilmfestival.org.