sports women's basketball

Women's basketball loses 2nd straight game

The IU women’s basketball team held the lead against Toledo for 37 minutes Sunday, but it was not enough to come up with the victory.

The Hoosiers (5-5) dropped their second close game in a row with a final score of 56-52 in Toledo, Ohio.

Looking to rebound from a poor shooting performance in its last game, IU came out strong with a quick 9-1 lead. The Rockets (6-4) made a few attempts to cut the score close, but the first half belonged to the Hoosiers.

The first half closed out with a 31-18 IU lead. Freshman guard Kristiana Stauere helped contribute off the bench in the first half with two 3-point field goals for the first points of her IU career.

The Hoosiers’ explosive first-half play could not be matched in the second period. Stellar play by sophomore guard Aulani Sinclair sustained the Hoosiers for part of the second half. Sinclair finished with a career-high 17 points, 15 of which came from beyond the arc.

IU continued a theme from the previous Thursday against Miami (Ohio), committing 29 turnovers. However, the Hoosiers could not capitalize on Toledo’s mistakes, scoring only 16 points off 21 forced turnovers.

Senior guard Jori Davis struggled against the Rockets with nine points, and only one of those points came in the second half.

As the team enters a two-game road trip in Florida, it will look to continue the shooting it had from behind the arc on Sunday. The Hoosiers were 47.8 percent in 3-point shooting.

After the two away games, IU will begin Big Ten play against Northwestern on Dec. 30 at Assembly Hall.

— Caitlin Ursini