Crown princess, surgeon general to receive honorary degrees

IU will award honorary degrees to Her Royal Highness Princess Sirindhorn of Thailand and the Surgeon General of the Navy Adam Robinson during the winter commencement ceremony Dec. 18.

“We are especially honored to confer degrees on Her Royal Highness Princess Sirindhorn and Vice Admiral Robinson in recognition of their lifetimes of service,” IU President Michael McRobbie said in a press release. “The positive impacts they’ve had on the lives of so many people have been immeasurable.”

Both of the honorees will be receiving Doctor of Humane Letters degrees for their work promoting the welfare of people throughout the world.

Princess Sirindhorn has worked for education, health care and the promotion of Thai culture. Her efforts have earned international recognition. In 2005, she was named a United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization Goodwill Ambassador.

“Her leadership and long-standing devotion to the cause of extending quality education opportunities to all Thai citizens have brought about dramatic improvements in the lives of so many in her country,” McRobbie said in the release. “Here at IU, we take pride in the fact that since the days of Herman B Wells’ presidency, several members of our faculty have lent their expertise and support to educational development in Thailand.”

Surgeon General Robinson will be honored for his work in disaster relief in Haiti, among other humanitarian efforts. He will also be giving the commencement speech at the ceremony, which begins at 10 a.m. in Assembly Hall with the procession of students beginning at 9:15 a.m.

“He has taken the medical training he received at IU and used it to assist others during a long and distinguished career as a Naval officer and physician and through his contributions to disaster relief efforts worldwide,” McRobbie said in the release. “The Admiral’s remarkable career should provide inspiration to us all.”

In 2008, the School of Medicine presented Robinson with its Distinguished Alumni Award.