sports wrestling

Wrestlers prep for season's first dual meet

The IU wrestling team opens its dual season today at Wabash College, and IU coach Duane Goldman is feeling confident.

“We should dominate that match,” Goldman said. “It will also give us an opportunity to wrestle some of our backups, so we’ll see how some of them react. We’re probably not going to wrestle all our starters.”

The Hoosiers have opened their dual season against Wabash for the past three years, shutting out the Little Giants each time. In many ways, the match will serve as primarily a warm-up for matches against Columbia and The Citadel in Orlando, Fla. this weekend as part of the Disney Duals.

“They run a good program up there, but we should be up for that challenge,” Goldman said. “We’ll face some stiff competition (at Disney Duals) with Citadel and Columbia. I think we’ll fare well.”

Even with favorable matchups today, there are challenges that come with the first dual meet of the year — namely making weight.

“It’ll be the first time they make weight for a dual meet with the one-hour weigh-in,” Goldman said. “We have to get used to wrestling as a team, knowing who’s out there and what the lineup will be.”

With many hours of practice, a scrimmage and a tournament under their belts, Goldman said he believes the team is on its way to establishing an identity.

“We’re looking forward to the dual meet season,” Goldman said. “We’re trying to start to establish our lineup and see how they meld.”