sports women's soccer

Women's soccer ends season with loss to Minnesota

Women's Soccer v. Minnesota

Losing to Minnesota 3-0 in its last game Friday, the IU women’s soccer team has officially ended its 2010 season.

Five seniors were recognized before the game, and all played later on, but the Hoosiers (6-12-1, 2-8) did not prevent a Golden Gopher shutout. Goals in the fifth, 16th and 25th minutes determined the final result of the game.

Instead of blaming the 40-degree temperature that could have slowed down the Hoosiers’ performance, IU coach Mick Lyon addressed the mistake that they made several times throughout the season.

“Weather is not a problem for us,” Lyon said. “Again, we let them score some quick goals. We played a tremendous second half and had some great opportunities, but it’s too much for us to come back. We were not at where we need to be.”

Senior midfielder Leigh Anne Cummings did not get to show off her famous flip sideline throw-in during her last game as a Hoosier, but she said she had no regret toward what her four years on the team had brought her.

“I’m sad it’s ending, but I feel like I have learned a lot during the four years,” Cummings said. “I hope my teammates can still get out there and have more wins.”

As freshmen, Cummings, forward Darby Hannon, goalkeeper Lauren Hollandsworth, midfielder Chloe McKay and forward Jocelyn Moses all made contributions to the Hoosiers’ run to the Sweet 16 in the 2007 NCAA Tournament — the best effort in school history.