Transfer Michel will not play until NCAA clears him

The NCAA is looking into the amateur status of junior center Guy-Marc Michel, IU Athletics announced in a statement.

Because of the investigation, Michel, a 7-foot transfer from Northern Idaho College, did not play in IU’s exhibition opener against Franklin College on Wednesday.

Michel will be out indefinitely until the matter is resolved.

“Prior to attending North Idaho Community College, Guy participated in club basketball in France, where he finished high school and enrolled in some college courses,” IU coach Tom Crean said in the statement.

“In three years with the French club, Guy participated as a member of an amateur team. In his third year, he was ‘called up’ for limited participation with a team that included professional players.”

While the NCAA has looked into the experiences of international student athletes for a long time, it has recently become a larger issue.  

The most prominent occurrence of late has been Kentucky freshman center Enes Kanter. Kanter’s status is being investigated because reportedly he was compensated for playing on a club team in Turkey.

Crean said he is optimistic that Michel’s situation will end in a positive manner.

“We are hopeful for a positive resolution to Guy’s case within the coming weeks,” Crean said. “While he is not eligible to compete at this time, he will continue to improve in practice, and he’ll continue doing very well in the classroom until the process is complete.”

— Greg Rosenstein