Sororities preparing for winter rush process

Freshman Marlo Niverson came to IU with a negative opinion of greek life. But with just a month left until recruitment officially begins, she said she’s now nervous.

Niverson is just one of the many freshmen and sophomore women registered to participate in sorority recruitment this year.

It’s an elaborate process, beginning with a month-long registration window that ended Sunday. Now, pre-recruitment events dot the social calendars of current and potential
members.

The Panhellenic Association is sponsoring several informative events about what it means to be greek at IU.

“I think it’s important for the girls, especially, because so many girls go through recruitment and so many people have so many preconceived notions about recruitment, to hear about recruitment and see what greek life is really about,” said Ellen Sweeney, senior and Director of Recruitment Counselors — Rho Gammas.

Niverson, who had scheduling conflicts during both the “Greek Opportunities for Women” and “Greek Means” informative events that served as bookends of the registration timeline, said she feels like she has learned a lot about greek life in the last month.

“A lot of the girls were really nice. I had a lot of fun with them, and a lot of them are in the major I’m interested in,” Niverson said. “That pushes me towards wanting to rush. It’s a definite plus.”

Freshman Jennifer McIntosh, however, is a legacy and attended pre-recruitment events at several houses. Hours before registration closed, she decided she wasn’t rushing.
The pre-recruitment events — whether it was dinner at a house, taking an informal tour or watching television — almost convinced her otherwise.

“The entire time I was really iffy about it,” McIntosh said. “Once I started doing some of the pre-rush stuff, I really enjoyed it and could totally see myself in that setting, but once I started learning about expectations and rules, it weaned me off.”

Though McIntosh said the more informative meetings are helpful, they do not answer everything.

“In certain settings, there are always those questions you’re scared to ask,” she said.
And that mentality, Sweeney said, is why so many different opportunities for guidance exist to help women through the process.

“They’ve always had ‘Greek Opportunities for Women,’” Sweeney said. “It was really helpful, the point where I realized I wanted join a sorority for sure. I saw how happy everyone who was there representing sororities seemed.”

Pre-recruitment activities culminated with the registration process.

The next month will be spent preparing the houses and women for recruitment.
All women who registered will soon be introduced to their Rho Gammas — unaffiliated members of sororities who counsel the women through the actual recruitment process.
The Rho Gammas are the final piece of support the Panhellenic Association offers women before bid day.

“Go through the first round of recruitment because that’s a really good way to see all the chapters,” Sweeney said. “Just be yourself, and you’ll end up happy with whatever you decide.”