Lynch concerned with Purdue game, not coaching future

IU coach Bill Lynch said Monday that he has not thought about his future in Bloomington and instead is focused on his team's final 2010 game.

"No I have not," Lynch said when asked what's to come for him at the school. "I'm worried about Purdue, just like we were worried about Penn State. That's my job, and that's what I'm going to do."

Lynch's squad lost 41-24 Saturday to Penn State in a neutral site game outside of Washington D.C. IU is now 4-7 this season, 0-7 in conference play for the first time since 1996. The fourth-year coach is 5-26 overall in the Big Ten and is in his third-straight losing season.

The Hoosiers square off with in-state rival Purdue for the Old Oaken Bucket at noon Saturday in West Lafayette.

When asked if he had discussed his future -- Lynch is in the third year of a four-year contract signed in 2007 -- with IU athletics director, the coach deferred slightly from the question.

"(Glass') support has been unbelievable," Lynch said. "Everything that he has said has been exactly what its been throughout the year. He's been as supportive as can be, week-by-week."

Prior to the season, Glass said he wants to stick by IU's contract with Lynch and has yet to say anything to the contrary.

IU's game adjustments derailed by blocked punt

Following Saturday's loss to the Nittany Lions, Lynch was complimentary of Penn State's on-field adjustments to the Hoosiers' attack, and signified that was the turning point in the game.

Asked Monday if his team made similar adjustments, and if so why they didn't work, Lynch placed the blame on Penn State returning a blocked punt from junior Chris Hagerup for a touchdown. The play gave PSU a 31-24 lead with 1:40 left in the third quarter.

"Let's go back," Lynch said in response. "At halftime what was the score? 17-14 (in favor of Penn State). And when the blocked punt took place, what was the score? 24 all. When we came out to start the second half up until the blocked punt at the end of the third quarter, we had outscored them. We had outplayed them. So, no. I think we did a great job of adjusting, and Penn State's a very good football team."

The Hoosiers threw an interception on the next drive and wouldn't score again while the Nittany Lions would finish the game on 17-0 run.

Chappell, Wright-Baker both expected to play

A combination at quarterback for IU during the Penn State loss featured senior Ben Chappell and redshirt freshman Edward Wright-Baker taking snaps. Lynch said he expects both to be used Saturday at Purdue, but wouldn't reveal the extent.

"Maybe," Lynch said coyly. "I would say that they probably both will play. How much? I don't know."

Both quarterbacks playing for IU was a bit of a necessity move after usual starter Chappell had left the previous game at Wisconsin with knee and hip injuries. Dusty Kiel, another IU backup, injured his thumb in the Wisconsin game and won't play again this season.

"We really didn't know if Ben would make it through the game," Lynch said. "We had to have a plan going into it and it was Ed."

Over the course of practice in preparation, IU's coaches decided Wright-Baker may make an interesting wrinkle in IU's offense.

"As we got closer to the game, we liked the plan," Lynch said. "It'd be a little bit different for Penn State and it would get Ben off the field for so many plays where he wasn't going to get banged up."