IU senior Rivers contributes outside box score

IU senior guard Jeremiah Rivers isn’t one to fill up the stat sheet. 

He’s not necessarily the best scorer on the court, nor the best passer. 

But throughout the first few games of the season, Rivers has done the little things — tough defense and rebounding — that has helped enable the Hoosiers to start the season 3-0.

Rivers will look to continue his strong start when IU plays Evansville at 1 p.m. Sunday at Assembly Hall. 

“It’s really about patience,” Rivers said. “Seeing what the offense is giving me, seeing what the defense is giving me. By studying film, getting in the gym and just another year of basketball, it really helps you mature as a player.”

While he has not been a starter this season, Rivers has been one of the most effective players for the Hoosiers. In the first three games, when he has been on the court, IU has a 41-point advantage on its opponents.

After his team’s win against Florida Gulf Coast on Nov. 12, IU coach Tom Crean said one of the best ways to figure out if someone made an impact is by looking at that player’s plus/minus.

The first name he brought up was Rivers.

“Jeremiah Rivers made some tremendous plays tonight,” Crean said. “That’s how he has to play for us. He has to rebound the ball, he has to drive the ball, he has to defend the ball, he has to create open shots for others.

“That’s really a microcosm of where our improvement has got to come from.”

Rivers said much of the improvement stems from extra time in the film room.

He was hurt for part of this summer, and because he couldn’t play on the court, he watched past games to see what he needed to work on.

Rivers also had his father, current Boston Celtics coach Doc Rivers, point out little things to look for. 

“When you aren’t on the court, you got to figure out something else to do to help the team,” Rivers said. “For me, it was really getting in there and watching film. It really helped me with the little things — the intangibles — so I learned a lot from myself.”

The Winter Park, Fla., native hopes to show those new skills against Evansville on Sunday.  

The Purple Aces (2-0) are undefeated this season thanks largely to an exceptional defense. In its two games, Evansville has held opponents to 38 percent shooting and has forced 33 turnovers.

Rivers said his team has worked hard in practice this week and will be ready for the Purple Aces. 

“We just want to keep adding wins and building our repertoire,” he said. “For us, it’s just about taking one game at a time. We’re not looking forward to anything down the line. 

“It’s about paying attention to the task at hand, and that’s Evansville on Sunday.”