IU pummels Northwestern State

Men's Basketball vs. Northwestern State University

IU coach Tom Crean would have been happy with a win regardless of how many points his team scored.

Putting up 100 points for the first time in his era as the Hoosiers coach only adds to his high spirits.

IU (6-0) enjoyed a second-half feast against the visiting Northwestern State Demons (3-3), piling on 62 points in the final 20 minutes on the way to a 100-66 victory in Assembly Hall.

IU dominated in all phases in the second half, shooting 64.7 percent from the field while holding Northwestern State to just 27.6 percent. The hot shooting pushed six IU players into double-digit scoring, led by junior guard Verdell Jones’ 24 points.

The Hoosiers received a shot of energy from their freshman bench players when they needed it. Guards Victor Oladpio and Will Sheehey scored 12 and 10 points, respectively, and provided a definite spark of hustle throughout.

IU dominated the Demons in the inside game, outscoring them 42-18 in the paint and outrebounding them 47-28. Sophomore forward Christian Watford led the big men with 17 points.

The Hoosiers didn’t fade when they stepped outside, either. Sophomore guard Maurice Creek scored 12 of his 14 points from the 3-point line, and sophomore guard Jordan Hulls added nine of his 11 from deep.

Northwestern State guard Devon Baker put in 24 points and forward Will Pratt added 15, but no other Demon scored more than six points.

The Hoosiers hit the road for the first time this year when they play Boston College in the Big Ten/ACC challenge on Dec. 1.