Monday, June 17

'Debbie Does Dallas' is not your average ‘High School Musical’

University Players bring taboo topics to The Lodge with ‘Debbie Does Dallas: The Musical’

Debbie Does Dallas

Let’s talk about sex, Debbie. And while we’re at it, let’s sing about porn.

That is exactly what junior Ben Schillmoeller and his cast are planning to do during their production of “Debbie Does Dallas: The Musical,” which opens at 8 p.m. Friday at the Lodge.

A spin off of the late 1970s pornographic film by the same name, “Debbie” centers around high school cheerleader Debbie Benton and her squad.

Doe-eyed Debbie has been selected as the newest addition to Texas Cowgirl Cheerleaders, whose headquarters is located in Dallas. With no cash to pay her way, Debbie and posse resort to some pretty risky business to get her to Dallas and in that uniform.

While it certainly would have been safer to recreate “High School Musical” as Schrillmoeller originally considered when he signed on with University Players for the production, he knew there was only one way to do it.

“For me, there is no such thing as going too far,” Schrillmoeller said. “I am accustomed to pushing the envelope with my sketch comedy troupe, so it was easy to face the explicit sexual humor head on.”

From men in tight gold spandex to orgies and bikini car washes, “Debbie Does Dallas: The Musical” is stuffed with double entendres and innuendos. But why should this subject be so taboo?

“Porn is such an influence in today’s society, but no one feels like they can talk about it with strangers or in public,” Schrillmoeller said. “It’s out there anyway, so it should be able to be joked and sung about.”

The musical is performed by University Players, a student-run theater organization that provides opportunities in performance, production, and management to undergraduate students.

“I think it was very important for University Players to put on ‘Debbie Does Dallas’ because it was a challenge for kids our age to be doing a show with such adult content,” choreographer and senior Eric Schaefer said. “We definitely are showing that we have the talent to handle this material with a classy, comedic feel.”

Junior Stephanie Cohen, who is majoring in musical theater and playing the role of Debbie, said the musical was an awesome opportunity to perform off the main stage and be part of a group that consists of her peers.

“Those affiliated with a University Players show work just as hard, but we still get to be surrounded with friends and are learning from people our own age,” Cohen said.

‘Debbie Does Dallas: The Musical’
WHEN 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday
WHERE The Lodge (formerly Space 101), 101 E. Sixth St.
ADMISSION Free