'Bucket' is Hoosiers' last chance for Big Ten win

IU faces Purdue at noon Saturday for Old Oaken Bucket

Football v. Purdue

The 2010 Old Oaken Bucket game will be decided Saturday between two of the Big Ten's biggest rivals. IU and Purdue collide for a noon kickoff at Ross-Ade Stadium in West Lafayette.

Before the rivalry contest -- the last of the season for both teams as they both will finish without postseason bowl eligibility -- here's some need-to-know information.

Who: Indiana Hoosiers (4-7, 0-7) @ Purdue Boilermakers (4-7, 2-5)
When: Saturday, noon (TV: Big Ten Network)
Where: Ross-Ade Stadium, West Lafayette, Ind.
Forecast: Sunny, high near 37. Light wind.

Notes

-Though a part of the storied intrastate IU/Purdue rivalry, the series in football has been decidedly not a close matchup. The Boilermakers dominate the series 70-36-6 overall. The teams have officially battled for the Old Oaken Bucket since 1925, and Purdue also leads that 56-26-3. IU is just 2-8 in the teams' last 10 meetings.

- IU senior quarterback Ben Chappell takes an impressive career run as IU signal caller into his final game Saturday. This season, Chappell has taken command of IU's all-time completions record (620) and leads in completion percentage (.610). More records would require an incredible aerial assault from the Hoosiers with Chappell second all-time in passing yards and passing touchdowns, and third in passing attempts.

The Bloomington native needs six touchdowns, 46 pass attempts and 548 passing yards to tie for IU's career marks.

- The Boilermakers have been beset by a heavy amount of key injuries this season to their offensive skill set. Starting quarterback Robert Marve and wide out Keith Smith both suffered season-ending knee injuries, but the Boilers have tried to overcome with defensive leadership from senior defensive end Ryan Kerrigan.

Kerrigan, from Muncie, Ind., leads the nation in tackles for loss (25), is second nationally with 12.5 sacks and has forced five fumbles. All told, Kerrigan has 66 tackles and figures to be a frontrunner for Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.

- The contest may prove to be significant for IU coach Bill Lynch's future as the Hoosiers' leader. In his fourth year in Bloomington, Lynch is in the midst of IU's first 0-7 start to the Big Ten since 1996. The last time they finished winless in the conference was 1995, but the 1996 0-7 season concluded with the Hoosiers topping the Boilers 33-16 at West Lafayette.