5-star recruit Ferrell commits to IU for 2012

Scholarship Numbers

Park Tudor High School junior and 2012 recruit Kevin "Yogi" Ferrell committed to IU prior to Park Tudor's home opener Wednesday.

Ferrell, the No. 17 overall recruit and the No. 2-rated point guard in the 2012 class according to Rivals.com, chose the Hoosiers over Butler, Florida, Virginia and Wake Forest.

“Right now in front of my family, the Park Tudor family who have all been my biggest supporters, I want to verbally commit to play my college basketball for coach Tom Crean at Indiana,” Ferrell said in front of a packed house of adoring Park Tudor fans on Wednesday.

The 5-foot-11 guard averaged 18.2 points and 5.4 assists during the regular season as a sophomore before leading the Panthers to a runner-up finish in the 2010 Indiana 2A state championship.

Ferrell is the latest high-profile Indiana high school player to commit to IU.

His Indiana Elite AAU teammate, 2011 five-star forward Cody Zeller of Washington, Ind., and 2012 five-star forward Hanner Perea of La Lumiere School in LaPorte, Ind., both announced their plans to play college basketball for the Hoosiers in the last month.

Fellow Indiana Elite players and 2012 prospects Peter Jurkin and Ron Patterson also are headed to Bloomington.

Listen to audio of Ferrell, his father and high school basketball coach on the Basketblog.

- Drew Allen