What’s a cutter?

Merriam-Webster defines a cutter as a type of sailing vessel, a light sleigh, or people who cut. According to Urban Dictionary, cutters are people who inflict physical pain on themselves or those pesky individuals who cut in front of others in line. But in Bloomington, the word “cutter” takes on new meaning.

As history and philosophy of science professor James Capshew explains, cutters represent the deep cultural heritage of IU and its surrounding community. 

In his online course called “Traditions & Cultures of IU,” Capshew discusses the effects of Little 500 movie “Breaking Away” on the popularization of Bloomington culture.

“(‘Breaking Away’) is really when the term ‘cutter’ became common again,” Capshew says.

While the Bloomington version of the term originally comes from the people who cut stone in limestone mills, Capshew says cutters were distinct from the limestone carvers. They worked in the mills, he says, but employed a more artistic skill by making ornate carvings into the stone.

“The cutters and carvers were two distinct trades within the limestone industry,” Capshew says.

Capshew says the word “cutter” likely stuck, especially in “Breaking Away,” because it provided a way to represent the underdog townie in a university town. 

“In the movie, it was a way to distinguish the town from the gown,” Capshew says. “And it was kind of an artificial distinction that they really played up for the drama of these four Bloomington boys, and they were sort of not welcome on campus, and they won the race.”

Today, Capshew says he wonders whether or not people even think about the original meaning of the word. He says that within Bloomington, the word most accurately reflects the men’s bike team that races in the Little 500. 

Outside of Bloomington, Capshew says, the word encompasses a variety of meanings. In Bloomington, however, the meaning remains local.

“If you went to other Southern Indiana towns, they would know what that meant,” Capshew says. “But I think it morphed into a sort of nice name to symbolize the town and something that’s deeper than just the University. I think that’s why it’s still a very popular name.”