sports volleyball

Volleyball splits decisions in weekend matches

IU volleyball (15-5, 3-5) had a block party in its first Big Ten road win of the year Friday.

IU recorded 17.5 total team blocks, 13 of which came from senior middle blocker Ashley Benson, in a victory against Wisconsin in Madison, Wisc.

“We did a good job of moving laterally and really keying in on the Wisconsin attackers,” IU coach Sherry Dunbar said.

In front of almost 5,000 people, the Hoosiers defeated the Badgers in three sets, 25-16, 25-18 and 25-8.

“We did a good job of taking away the crowds and just focusing on what we are doing on the court,” junior libero Caitlin Cox said.

The win was IU’s first sweep in Big Ten play.

Sophomores Jordan Haverly and Kelci Marschall led the team with seven kills each.

IU posted eight service aces on the night with three different players recording two.

Cox produced 12 of the team’s 38 digs.

On Saturday, IU lost to No. 8 Illinois in four sets. The Fighting Illini won by scores of 25-23, 25-22, 21-25 and 25-19.

Three Hoosiers had double-digit kills. Marschall posted 18, Benson tallied 16 and Haverly recorded 13.

After a strong serving effort in the Wisconsin match, IU only had one service ace against Illinois, which came from Benson.

The Hoosiers couldn’t stop Illinois’ two top kills leaders. Right-side hitter Michelle Bartsch recorded 22 kills, and outside hitter Colleen Ward earned 15 kills.

“Of course we would have liked to go 2-0, but a split in the road in the Big Ten is not the worst thing that could happen,” Benson said.