The beat to ‘The Baker Dances’

David Baker is a world-renowned composer with more than 2,000 works to his name. His work in jazz, symphonic and chamber music has earned him Grammy Award nominations as well as an Emmy Award in 2003. The IDS spoke with 2001’s Indiana Living Legend honoree about the pieces being used in The Baker Dances, part of the IU Ballet Department’s next production A Choreographer’s Evening.

IDS: How long had you been working with choreographer Josh Bergasse on The Baker Dances?
Baker: This is music that was written some time ago. I sent him a number of my CDs, and he chose the pieces he would like to do.

IDS: What makes this production different from the other three ballets you’ve produced?
Baker: I think the span of time and styles is very much different. The choreographer, who just got through last year doing West Side Story, of course gives it a very special meaning in my mind, because I think that West Side Story is one of the greatest musicals of the last century.

IDS: What does it mean to have choreographers as acclaimed as him working with the Jacobs School of Music?
Baker: This is one of the big-time choreographers. He had asked me to send him CDs, and I’m assuming he made the choices. It’s deeply flattering when it’s somebody with a name like his.

IDS: What should people expect from this performance?
Baker: I think they can expect to see many of the things that make up my style. I’ve written lots of music for symphony orchestras, including New York Philharmonic and others, but I think most people know me as a jazz musician. Consequently, they’re going to see a very pleasant mixture of those two because I can’t deny who I am. Those are the things that are built in.

IDS: Have you communicated at all with the IU students who are performing?
Baker: That’s the responsibility of the choreographer, and I trust their judgment. From what I could see on the stage last night, it’s dynamite.

IDS:
What did you see from the performers?
Baker: It’s distinctively modern, and the dancers are absolutely superb. This does not look like a student production. These are really young professionals, many of whom are going to have major careers in dance — at least by my estimation.