Special teams player makes impact on, off football field

The IU defense stops its opponent from getting a first down and forces them to punt.

No. 39, anxiously waiting on the sideline, straps up his helmet and sprints onto the field. He quickly glances over the defensive line in front of him, making sure all of his teammates are in the correct position for punt coverage.

The ball is snapped. No. 39 hurries through a small hole created by two pairs of linemen. He nears two “bears,” guys who stand in front of the punter to keep defenders from getting through.

No. 39 leaps right before he comes in contact with the bears, giving up his body in an effort to block the punt. After landing on the turf and realizing his attempt was unsuccessful, No. 39 hussles off the field and patiently waits his next opportunity to help the Hoosiers.

This is the life of No. 39, Brandon McGhee. He is responsible for blowing up the wedge on punt coverage and doing everything he can to block a kick.

That’s his job, and he does everything in his power to make sure he gets it done.
McGhee, a redshirt junior, doesn’t get to play on the offensive or defensive sides of the ball. It wasn’t until this year he had the opportunity to play consistently on special teams.

But the walk-on never complains. McGhee knows his role, and he’s committed to helping the Hoosiers win.

In a time when the number of true “student athletes” seems to decrease each year, McGhee and players like him often go unnoticed.

And that’s a shame.

McGhee will never see his name in the bright lights (unless he blocks a punt, and even then it will be short-lived).

He will likely never find his way onto an NFL roster.

And yet, McGhee never quits. He attends the Hoosiers’ grueling practices every day and then must study for the classes he is paying for out of pocket. (He has  received some financial aid.)

“I’m a sardine in the ocean,” McGhee said. “But you adjust to your role. I’ve been here for four years, and I’m comfortable in this role now. You become part of a team, something bigger than yourself.”

McGhee grew up as a basketball player for Jeffersonville High School. He knew he wanted to play football at the next level, however, because “football was fun to me and basketball was like a job.”

As a high school football player, McGhee didn’t set any records for interceptions or fumble recoveries as a safety.

He did, however, set a new school mark for deflections in a season — making him the perfect candidate for the job he currently has.

“He always gives us 100 percent when he’s out there,” said co-special teams coordinator Dennis Springer. “Anything he can do to help his football team win, Brandon is going to do it. I always tell my guys ‘Go get me one of those footballs.’ If Brandon gets one, it could be a game-changer.”

These are the players we should look up to — athletes that work as hard as they possibly can to do something they love.

McGhee is in Bloomington primarily to get a criminal justice degree, something he said he hopes will help him get a position with the FBI someday.

If necessary, he said, he will join the Air Force after graduation.

But don’t sleep on No. 39 this Big Ten season.

McGhee nearly blocked three different punts in a game against Western Kentucky last month because he noticed the Hilltoppers put their bears nine yards behind the line of scrimmage — three yards farther than most teams.

Before the year is up, McGhee hopes to get his paws on one of those footballs. That’s not because he wants his name in the spotlight, but rather because it could be a play that helps his team win a football game.

“I want to play hard every play and do whatever I can to help my team,” McGhee said. “I see myself getting one of those kicks by the end of the year. I’m going to try my best to get one, anyway.”

The Hoosiers’ defense forces a three-and-out and another punt. No. 39 runs back out on the field, ready to break through the line yet again.

This could be the one that changes the game.

This is the life of No. 39 — this is the life of Brandon McGhee.

ALBERS’ PREDICTION
IU senior quarterback Ben Chappell set four school records last week in the Hoosiers’ 42-35 loss to No. 19 Michigan.

But those numbers — 45-of-64 for 480 yards — came against a lackluster Wolverines’ defense. This week, Chappell and the IU offense will go to work against one of the nation’s best defenses in Ohio State.

I expect Chappell to put up some decent numbers, but it won’t be nearly enough to keep the Hoosiers in the game. Did you know IU is 0-26 all-time against teams ranked No. 1 or No. 2 in the country?

The ‘0’ won’t turn into a ‘1’ on Saturday.

Prediction: Ohio State 34, IU 20

- E-mail: jmalbers@indiana.edu