sports men's soccer

Soffner named Big Ten's top defensive player

Sophomore goalkeeper Luis Soffner’s Sunday afternoon was pretty relaxing. Six shots came Soffner’s way, and only one was on goal.

Soffner stopped those shots, giving his team a shutout victory, the third of the season.

A victory Sunday lead to an award Monday, when for the first time in his collegiate career, Soffner was named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week.

“I’m honored,” Soffner said. “It’s my first one, so I think it’s a cool accomplishment.”

As for the team’s play Sunday and the defense it showed, Soffner contributes that to the No. 16 ranking Michigan State carried.

“I hate to say it, but I think our team comes out and plays better against ranked teams,” Soffner said. “I know that’s a bad thing, but yesterday I know we were just really pumped up before the game. We knew that they were a good team, and we were all jacked up for them.”

The award is IU’s fourth Big Ten Player of the Week honor. Junior forward Will Bruin has earned the award three times.

“That’s a reflection of the team,” coach Todd Yeagley said. “If the team has success, the individual accolades will come, and it’s a shared award. It’s a team award and the guys really understand that.”

As for Soffner’s 90 minutes in the box that amounted to one save, Yeagley said he was happy with his young goalkeeper’s abilities on Sunday.

“He was very sharp and made the plays he had to make,” Yeagley said. “Otherwise it was not a busy day. Not a busy day is a good thing. It means we’re defending well.”

The shutout is Soffner’s second against a ranked team during IU’s 2010 campaign. Soffner has given up 14 goals and has made 31 saves in 13 games this season.

“It feels good to be recognized for helping our team win, but I’m not about myself,” Soffner said. “I’m about helping my team win, but it means a lot.”

Bruin earns national honor

Bruin’s 21st birthday brought him goals No. 11 and 12 against the Spartans.

Now, Bruin has been named to TopDrawerSoccer.com’s Team of the Week.

Bruin is joined by former IU player Ofori Sarkodie’s brother, Kofi, who plays for Akron.