Monday, June 17

Local DJ’s to clash Jamaican sounds at Rachael’s Cafe

Ask DJ Drekka, also known as local resident Michael Anderson, and DJ Eade, who is senior Brenden Eade about a Jamaican sound clash and their answers will be very different.

Both DJs will be guiding an audience through the history of reggae during their free performance Friday at Rachael’s Cafe.

Both Anderson and Eade have a passion for reggae, but this clash between the two DJs will feature the vast flavor of sounds typical of this music.

“It will be interesting to listen to the pairing of classic with new dub music,” said 2010 graduate and local musician Dylan Ettinger, who said he is no stranger to Bloomington’s music scene. “The audience will get to see the full evolution of how this genre came to be.”

Anderson said he and Eade plan on playing the show in chronological order.
“I will start with the more mellow, early dub and dancehall, and he will pick it up with some of the newer music,” Anderson said.

This is the second time Rachael’s is welcoming Anderson and Eade, but both are used to various types of venues.

Eade said dorm parties are his favorite to DJ because there tend to be a lot of people in a tiny space, which he said tends to equal good things.

“Those crowds tend to be the most energetic and receptive,” Eade said. “But we have a solid mix of students and Bloomington residents that are regulars at Rachael’s, and we hope to draw a diverse crowd on Friday as well.”