LGBT football fans honored with first appreciation day

This Saturday, IU Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Alumni Association — an affinity group of the IU Alumni Association — will bring LGBT fans from in and outside Indiana to Memorial Stadium.

The first-ever LGBT Appreciation Day is geared toward IU alumni as well as their family and friends.

IU GLBTAA secretary Jon Kitto, who has been planning this event since summer, said the idea of LGBT Appreciation Day came from the partnership between the GLBTAA and the IU Athletics Department.

Kitto said the GLBTAA advises and facilitates the relationship among IU LGBT students, faculty and staff on all eight campuses. He said that among about 1200 members in the IU GLBTAA, 80 percent are IU alumni.

“We have met and worked with the athletics department in the past,” Kitto said. “This time, they are showing their support for our group and have great offers for LGBT fans.”
Kitto said he met with Senior Assistant Athletics Director for Marketing Pat Kraft at this year’s LGBT pride event in Indianapolis, and Kraft soon expressed IU Athletics’ interest in bringing LGBT groups to a football game at home in the fall.

Kraft and Assistant Director of Marketing Andrew Rosner then put together a ticket package plan and reached an agreement with Kitto.

For the day, LGBT fan can purchase the $20 fan package from the IU Alumni Association. The package includes a game ticket, hot dog, soft drink and popcorn.
Kraft said the Athletic Department had been reaching out to events all across Indiana during the summer at places like the Indiana State Fair and the 500 Festival Parade, touching bases with potential fans.

“We have group rates out there for fans who want to come in as a group,” Kraft said. “The groups’ size varies from 20 to 1000. We are open to any idea that can bring in groups to fill in our seats.”

The Appreciation Day will invite Northwestern LGBT fans as well, who can also purchase the fan package.

Kitto said LGBT fans will have a section in the North End Zone. Before the game, they can also tailgate with other fans at Hoosier Village next to the
stadium.

Kraft said the Athletics Department hopes to make the Appreciation Day an annual event in the future.

“Our partnership with the LGBT is great,” Kraft said. “We hope to grow this partnership in the future and make it a successful event. But all we want to do is to bring our fans in, no matter who they are. We just want our 53,000 seats full.”

Kraft said he did not know how many seats will be filled by the LGBT fans on Saturday, but he expects a high turn out.