sports wrestling

Hoosier wrestlers compete in intrasquad scrimmage

Wrestling

An overtime clash at heavyweight capped a number of close matches as the Hoosier wrestlers debuted to the public Wednesday in their annual intrasquad scrimmage.

“Mainly I just wanted them to be aggressive,” IU coach Duane Goldman said. “It’s very difficult to wrestle your teammates in this kind of a setting. I wanted them to try to overlook that and be aggressive. It was good to finally get some competition so we know what to work on.”

Most of the matches were fairly close, with only two major decisions by senior Paul Young and junior Matt Powless, a technical fall by senior Eric Cameron and the rest of the matches ending in decisions.

None, though, were closer than the evening’s final match at heavyweight between senior Ricky Alcala, in his first appearance since transferring from California-Davis, and junior Joe Fagiano, making his debut at heavyweight after previously wrestling at 197 pounds.

After ending regulation tied 1-1, Alcala broke the tie with an escape and needed only to keep Fagiano down for 30 seconds to prevail. However, he intentionally let Fagiano up and looked for a takedown. It was Fagiano, however, who got a subsequent takedown before time expired and emerged the victor.

Other highlights included Young’s debut at 157 pounds and wins by freshmen Zach Zimmer at 125 pounds and Mitchell Richey at 141 pounds against more experienced competition.

“I think I did well,” Young said. “I cut weight right. It felt good. I was a little nervous for my first time being down at that weight, but recouped well. I was content, never satisfied.”

The team officially opens its season Nov. 13 in the Michigan State Open.