Hoosier Hysteria kicks off basketball season

Five reasons why Hoosier Hysteria is a big night for fans and the basketball program.

RECRUITING EFFECT

A laundry list of recruiting prospects, including 2012 guards Kevin “Yogi” Ferrell and Jeremy Hollowell, are expected to be in attendance Friday. Last season, 13,321 fans made it to Assembly Hall, and IU coach Tom Crean said attendance has an impact on potential players.

“You can’t have Indiana basketball at Indiana University and not have great crowds. ... I think that’s what we expect, I think that’s what the fans have always done, and I know that’s what recruits want to see.”
— Tom Crean, IU coach

START OF PRACTICE
Hoosier Hysteria signals the start of practice for the basketball players, and they couldn’t be happier to end their offseason training.

“Individual stuff sucks, and conditioning sucks, so as we get to practices it’s less running and more focused on improving on last season.”
— Verdell Jones, junior guard

“These workouts have been tough, but that’s what we need in the preseason to get ready for the season.”
— Jordan Hulls, sophomore guard

EVENT SCHEDULE

Last season, the men’s basketball team was introduced at about 8:30 p.m. For this season, the doors will open at 6 p.m. with an autograph session at 7:30 p.m. Crean said he hopes to have a quicker evening than years past, leading to a quicker exit.

“It will give people more opportunities to come with families, it will allow people to come from distance, and it will allow students to get out that night. I think that’s important.”
— Tom Crean, IU coach

NEW FACES
Four players — freshmen Victor Oladipo, Will Sheehey and Jeff Howard and junior transfer Guy-Marc Michel — will make their first public appearance on the Assembly Hall floor. But after an offseason of pumping iron, many old faces will look new to fans.

“It’s a good time for people to see how the bodies have changed, the product of what these guys have done in the offseason, the product of what they have done in the sense of what Je’Ney [strength coach Jackson] is putting them through.”
— Tom Crean, IU coach

DUNK CONTEST
Then-senior Steven Gambles defeated sophomore forward Christian Watford in last season’s dunk contest. But with Gambles graduated, Watford has a chance to take the crown this time. He faces stiff competition in freshmen Oladipo and Sheehey, and the former has the vote of confidence from teammates.

“Victor is going to pull something out of his butt. He’s a freak of nature.”
— Verdell Jones, junior guard