Football team looks to break road-game losing streak

Football vs. Penn State

President George W. Bush was still in office, the movie “Superbad” had just been released and the song “Crank That (Soulja Boy)” by Soulja Boy was atop the Billboard Hot 100.

That was the last time the IU football team won a Big Ten road game.

Since IU’s 38-20 victory at Iowa on Sept. 29, 2007, the Hoosiers have lost 12 straight Big Ten road games. It is a trend that IU (4-2, 0-2) hopes to end this Saturday when it takes on Illinois (3-3, 1-2) in Champaign, Ill.

During that streak, the Hoosiers have been outscored 459-210. The defensive fault on the road is something that the Hoosier coaching staff knows it needs to correct if it hopes to end the streak.

“Our plan, obviously, is to change that this Saturday,” defensive ends coach George Ricumstrict said. “It’s up to us as a defensive team to meet those expectations.”

Similar to recent years, IU currently ranks 10th in the Big Ten in points allowed. The Illini are 10th in the Big Ten in scoring this season, a statistic that might play into the Hoosiers’ favor. In addition to being in the basement of the Big Ten in scoring, the Illini are also coming off a six-point performance in a loss to Michigan State.

Unlike the Illini, the Hoosiers have seen an improved offensive output.

At the halfway point of last season, IU quarterback Ben Chappell had thrown five touchdowns and seven interceptions.

This year, the senior has thrown for a Big Ten-leading 16 touchdown passes along with three interceptions.

The numbers from Chappell are why the Hoosiers are currently ranked first in the Big Ten in passing offense. The only game this season in which Chappell did not throw at least two touchdown passes was in the team’s only Big Ten road game at then-No. 2 Ohio State.

With the third-ranked pass defense in the Big Ten, the Illini will present a similar challenge for Chappell and the IU offense. This Illinois defense withheld Ohio State to 77 yards passing in its 24-13 loss to the Buckeyes.

Besides limiting the Buckeyes passing game, points have been at a premium all year in Champaign. The Illini are allowing fewer than 13 points per game in three home games this season.

“The way they played Ohio State, their defense is outstanding,” IU coach Bill Lynch said. “And after so many games, the statistics start meaning something, and they are up there not only in the Big Ten-wise but also nationally on defense.”

On this weekend last season, the Hoosiers coughed up a 25-point lead and lost 29-28 at Northwestern. It was the closest that IU has come to a Big Ten road win since the drought began.

“I don’t think in that locker room they’re worried because they have to go play on the road,” Lynch said. “But the numbers speak for themselves. We’ve got to go on the road and win.”