sports field hockey

Field hockey earns weekend sweep

Field Hockey

Recently, the IU field hockey team has developed a tendency for winning in dramatic fashion.

Junior forward Corey Brautigam caged her second game-winning goal in 10 days as the Hoosiers earned a 2-1 victory against Iowa. This time, Brautigam scored 3:20 into the first overtime session. Afterward, she possessed enough energy to celebrate the victory.

“I had a little more energy to celebrate,” she said, laughing. “We just wanted to finish it in the first five.”

Coach Amy Robertson chuckled about how the team earned a couple of late wins. Then she praised her team.

“I’m really proud of our team because we found a way,” Robertson said. “We were doing some things really well at times. Sometimes we lost grip of the control that we had and we gave in a little bit to the pressure that Iowa put on us. Then we came back again.”

The Hoosiers had an opportunity to play in front spectators in unusual circumstances. IU Athletics Director Fred Glass wore a kilt and supported the team from the sideline. His presence was felt during the contest.

“He’s a huge fan of ours. He comes to a lot of our games,” Brautigam said. “If we beat Louisville, then he said he’d wear a kilt. It was really encouraging that he was here to cheer us on.”

In beating the Hawkeyes, IU was able to gain a measure of revenge.

“It was fun beating Iowa because the last couple of years, it’s been kind of annoying to have to play them,” senior forward Lena Grote said. “This year, it felt really good beating them.”

On Sunday, the Hoosiers completed a weekend sweep, defeating Villanova 2-1. After a scoreless first half. Villanova got on the board first a little under six minutes into the second period.

The Hoosiers responded quickly, as less than three minutes later, senior midfielder Kelsey Kiper converted a pass from junior back Brenna Moeljadi. Four minutes later, sophomore forward Shareyna Chang scored her third game-winning goal of the season.