Top 2014 recruit commits to IU

Trey Lyles, a 6-foot-9 freshman forward from Indianapolis Arsenal Technical High School, has committed to IU, his father Tom confirmed to the IDS.

According to ESPN, Lyles is the No. 1 ranked player in the 2014 class.  Lyles will join his Spiece Indy Heat AAU teammate and No. 7 overall player James Blackmon Jr. in Bloomington.

Tom Lyles said Trey decided he wanted to play for the Hoosiers about a year ago, but wanted to wait to make a public announcement.

“We had other visits, but truly, in his words, there was no other place that felt like home,” he said.  “He was really impressed with Coach Crean and the passion that he brings.  As animated as he is on those sidelines, he’s just that animated when he is having that one on one conversation with you.”

Lyles had interest from a multitude of schools including Ohio State, Purdue, Illinois, Kentucky, Georgetown, Florida and North Carolina, Tom said.
But despite the long list of suitors, Trey said he knew all along he wanted to come to Bloomington for college.

“He was very adamant about where he wanted to go, what he wanted to do and who he wanted to play for,” Tom Lyles said.  “He stuck to his guns.  He said, ‘Dad, this is where I want to go.’”

Stay with the IDS and Hoosier Hype for updated information regarding IU’s newest basketball commit, including exclusive quotes from Trey Lyles, Tom Lyles and Spiece Indy Heat AAU coach Reynardo Bluiett.