Lost: sleep, religion, virginity

Ten intangible things you (might have) lost when you came to college and how to get (most of) them back

10. Insecurity

You’re no longer the acne-riddled, band geek. Or, if you are, there are plenty of band geeks at IU who have found Proactiv. College is the time to be you and be proud. Lose some more: Students get two free visits to Counseling and Psychological Services  a semester. Vent your problems and come out a stronger, more secure you.

9. Study skills

You read the abstract. That’s good enough, right? Get them back: If you’re struggling with a paper, visit Writing Tutorial Services in Ballantine 206. Best of all, it’s free. Having trouble in a class? Check with your department for a list of peer tutors.

8. Clean criminal record

“But officer, I didn’t know there was vodka in my orange juice.”

Welcome Week, Halloween, and Little 500 are prime times to get in trouble with law enforcement. Make sure to act responsibly. 

Get it back: If you find yourself in trouble, visit Student Legal Services at 703 E. Seventh St.

7. Consciousness 

One minute you were raging in the basement of a house on Dunn Street, the next you were sprawled out on the cold tile of your dorm bathroom. Get it back: If you’re taking care of friends who partied too hard, make sure to turn them on their sides and not leave them alone. If you suspect alcohol poisoning, take your friends to the Bloomington Hospital emergency room. Immediately.

6. Negative STD status 

She swore those rumors about sleeping with half of the fraternity weren’t true. More than half of all of us will get a sexually transmitted disease at some time in our lives, according to Planned Parenthood. If you lose it: Make sure to check your status at the IU Health Center or Planned Parenthood on South College Avenue.

5. Religion 

Who would have thought that college would make you question so many things? Or that Sunday mornings would ever seem so early?

Get it back: Bloomington is home to a variety of religious centers, many of which have evening services directed toward students. Want something more laid back? Join a campus youth group and stay connected to your faith.

4. Pre-conceived notions about the world and the people in it 

College is the time to break out and experience the world around you. Challenge yourself to push your limits. International students and faculty represent more than 130 countries.  Lose some more: Start a conversation, check out Fourth Street for a variety of ethnic dining options, go to a local theatre show or attend Miss Gay IU. Whatever you do, do something different.

3. Fit body or flat stomach

Goodbye six-pack, hello freshman 15. Or is it 30? Get it back: The Student Recreational Sports Center (SRSC) and the School of Health, Physical Education, and Recreation building (HPER) are free for students. The SRSC opens at 6 a.m. on weekdays and 8 a.m. on weekends, and the HPER is conveniently located in the middle of campus for a between-class work-out.

2. Virginity

Those co-ed dorms are just a breeding ground for misconduct. 

If you lose it: Make sure to pick up some free condoms from the IU Health Center or visit Planned Parenthood for any questions you might have.

1. Sleep

No matter if you’re a straight-A student, die-hard partier or varsity athlete, chances are you aren’t sleeping. 

Get it back: Most adults need eight hours of sleep to stay healthy. Try going to bed and waking up at the same time every day in order to maximize your rest. When in doubt, there’s always the couches in the Indiana Memorial Union