IU vs. Michigan student tickets selling fast

Student section tickets for Saturday’s IU football game against Michigan are selling fast, Athletics Director Fred Glass said.

“We’re selling tickets quicker than Nick’s sells strombolis on a Saturday night,” Glass said.

Roughly 1,000 of the original 11,338 $5 student tickets remain available for the game.

IU will take on the No. 19 Wolverines on Saturday at Memorial Stadium in a game that kicks off at 3:30 p.m. and will air on ESPNU, pairing two undefeated teams.

The game should feature plenty of offensive firepower on each side of the ball with fifth-year senior quarterback Ben Chappell leading the way for the Hoosiers and Michigan quarterback and early Heisman Trophy hopeful Denard Robinson guiding the Wolverines.

“The weather is going to be crisp, and we’ve got a little bit later of a kickoff with the 3:30 p.m. start,” Glass said. “I think all of those things are coming together to make people want to come to the game.”

Though the student section expanded for three games last season, Glass wouldn’t commit to the same scenario for Saturday’s game.

“It’s too early to tell,” Glass said of potentially expanding the student section. “That will all depend on how our overall sales are going, when and if the student section actually sells out and whether or not we have enough time to shift gears.”

Roughly 4,000 regular, non-student tickets remain.

The ticket office at Assembly Hall is open from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. this week.

Regardless, Glass said its been a busy week for the IU Athletics ticket office. He said extra temporary ticket staff is on hand this week, and they sold about 1,500 game tickets Monday.

“That may or may not be the single-day record,” Glass said, “But it’s the most anyone around here can remember.”

The Hoosiers drew 42,258 to last Saturday’s home win against Akron. A win Saturday against the Wolverines would propel the Hoosiers to their first 4-0 start since 1990.