sports field hockey

Field hockey defeats Cal in home opener

Field Hockey

The IU Field Hockey team defeated California today 4-2.

Each time Cal scored, the team answered with a goal of their own leading the Hoosiers to a win for the 2010 home opener.

The Hoosiers (2-1) opened the scoring in the first three minutes when senior midfielder Kelsey Kiper scored off of a rebound. That goal set the tone for the No. 17 Hoosiers.
“When we start off a game that well, and start connecting, then it flows throughout the rest of the game,” Kiper said.

IU increased its lead 12 minutes later when senior forward Lena Grote put home a pass from sophomore forward Morgan Fleetwood. Fleetwood went on to tally four points — one goal and two assists — on the game.

California scored off a penalty corner 24 minutes into the contest on a goal from midfielder Rosa Stabler.

Indiana responded to Cal’s first tally at the 44:47 mark when junior Jacyln Zamudio scored off a pass from Fleetwood.

Cal cut their deficit fifteen minutes into the second half when Andrea Earle scored off a penalty corner.

Fleetwood concluded the scoring in the 61st minute when she won a ball in the circle and placed it in the left corner of the cage.

“When an opponent scores on you, you’re always thinking in your head ‘What am I supposed to do to improve? Why did that goal happen? What can we do to prevent it next time?’ Kiper said. “That’s our mentality: To continue to be tough as we go throughout the game.”