EPA calls for computer recycling

It’s the beginning of the new school year, and computer stores have geared up for increased and extensive business. Laptops, netbooks, printers and monitors — students need them.

But where do the old laptops, netbooks, printers and monitors go?
The Environmental Protection Agency has provided an answer. Their program, Plug-In to eCycling, encourages people to recycle their old computers.

“We see that electronic recycling is a great way for people to help the environment and realize environmental benefits,” said Chris Newman, environmental scientist of Region 5 of the EPA.

Newman said the benefit of recycling is that manufacturers don’t need to find raw material to build new electronics.

The EPA is partners with many popular electronics stores for this program, Newman said, including Best Buy, Office Depot and Staples.

Gregg Hoke, the store manager for the Bloomington Staples, said the store offers different recycling specials throughout the year. It costs $10 to recycle a computer, but the stores sometimes offer free recycling plus a discount with the purchase of a new computer.

The Bloomington Office Depot also offers technology recycling, store manager Carl James said. The store sells small, medium and large boxes for $5, $10 and $15, respectively, and whatever items will fit inside, the store will recycle.

Working computers are often refurbished and sold at discount rates, according to the EPA. Nonworking computers contain metal that can be melted down and reused.

“I would recycle my computer, but I’m not sure where I would take it,” senior Taryn Valencic said. “I would pay to do it.”

Sophomore Jane Goebel agreed.

“You can recycle at Best Buy, and I would be fine with paying for it,” she said.
Valencic and Goebel appear to be in the minority, however.

James said computer recycling is not common in Bloomington.

“It’s pretty rare for people to purchase our recycling services,” James said. “We see it when we run a discount promotion.”