Continuing Studies grows, new endowment anticipated

After almost two years of funding from the Bernard Osher Foundation, Bloomington Continuing Studies may be eligible to receive a $1 million
endowment.

The foundation, based in San Francisco, is an organization that funds adult education scholarships across the country. After receiving $50,000 per semester for adult scholarships, Ron White, executive director of Bloomington Continuing Studies, said he and the foundation hope to continue the partnership in order to receive the endowment.  

Twenty-one students, who have been away from formal education for at least five years, have received scholarships this semester from the foundation. Bloomington Continuing Studies allows students to transfer credits from former institutions and focus on a liberal arts education foundation with day and evening classes, along with academic advising and adult student resources. Students can also obtain certificates in various areas, including business, informatics and more.

Student Lisa Goch said the $1,500 she receives per semester has made a big difference for her education.

“The scholarship was a major factor,” Goch said. “Without it I would not have been able to come back to school.”

She also said the time away from school has given her a much better perspective on her college education.

“I would say that the first time I went to school, it was a continuation from when I was four. So by my 20s I got to be a little jaded,” Goch said. “Now, after being in the workforce, I have a true appreciation for my education.”