Construction puts hold on activities at Collins LLC

As construction on the Collins Living-Learning Center continues, several students and faculty expressed they are growing eager to see the project completed.

“The primary improvements being made include raising the front veranda’s walls, adding a retaining wall between East 10th and Woodlawn Avenue and resurfacing the foundation and stairway on the front of the main quad,” Collins Residence Manager Wil McCall said.

McCall said this is the first major “facelift” the building has undergone since it was built in 1940, when it was originally named North Hall. The renovations are being made to ensure the building complies with current building codes.

“The residence hall is going to look nicer, but not necessarily newer,” McCall said. “Everything we do tries to keep the historical integrity of the building in tact and only change what is required.”

While walkways have now been made accessible for students to access the building, much of the courtyard in the front of Collins remains under construction and has not been open to students for congregation or outdoor activities.

“Renovations began this summer and did have a late start because there are so many projects going on around campus right now,” McCall said. “The construction here will most likely not be completely finished until the end of the month.”

For some students, this date cannot come soon enough.

“The construction has really limited our ability to have fun activities over the last weeks,” Collins Resident Assistant Grant Hardisty said. “Not being able to participate in drum circles or toss around a frisbee has put a damper on the beginning of the year, especially Welcome Week.”

In an e-mail to Collins residents sent out last week, Residential Programs and Services officials said the veranda is scheduled to re-open today, which is a step closer to not only more outdoor activities, but also a better night’s rest for students who are awaken by the construction.

“The construction starts every morning at 7 a.m.,” sophomore and Collins resident Sarah Van Tassel said. “I actually bought an industrial size fan for my room to try and block out the noise. While I do think the timing could have been planned better, it is important for the dorm to look better, and I am glad the it is being worked on.”