Cardinal Stage Company kicks off theater season

The Grapes of Wrath

Cardinal Stage Company and the College of Arts and Sciences at IU have come together to bring a classic story to students as part of the themester program that explores sustainability.

The Grapes of Wrath opens Thursday and goes until Sept. 12 at the Waldron Arts Center Auditorium.

Though Cardinal Stage Company artistic director Randy White said he expects it to be a great show, he said he is most excited about the educational component that the audience will experience during the production.

“We’re very excited to be doing it as a part of the themester,” he said. “Last year we did evolution.”

A 36-page educational handbook was put together by the organizations with the help of IU faculty. Twelve essays and additional research on sustainability and its important role in the play are included in the booklet. These will be distributed to all that attend the show.

Cardinal Stage Company has taken the educational component further by offering free showings for local high school students.

The company began the Community Access Ticket Initiative two years ago with the Anne Frank production. The program survives on donations from supporters.

This year, the student showings were funded by Jane Pauley and Garry Trudeau. The money makes it possible for 700 students to attend.

“Seven hundred is a larger group than last year,” said Katie Becker, Cardinal Stage Company’s general manager. “We are very pleased.”

White said he looks forward to the production, a story he said fits well with the sustainability issue.

“The Grapes of Wrath takes place during the Dust Bowl,” he said. “It teaches you that
regardless of whatever the circumstances are, you can always make it. They’re in this together to make their lives better.”

Aside from the show, he said the large cast was something he enjoyed. Costume Assistant Stacy Brewer said she also has enjoyed working with the group.

In addition to supervising the wardrobe department as a costume assistant, Brewer acts and choreographs for the production.

Brewer started her theater career in high school when she said she became frustrated with store-bought Halloween costumes, so she decided to make her own. Although the past two weeks have kept her busy, she said she loves what she does.

“There’s a kind of rush that happens. An adrenaline that you get only when you’re doing live theater,” she said. “You have to be prepared and do the best that you can. That challenge and sense of accomplishment is unmatched. I thrive on it.”