‘Pilgrim’ good on screen, bad on air

ScottPilgrim

Never before has the world seen such a delightful combination of awkward and adorable.

Thank you, Michael Cera.

However, when those visuals vanish and all we’re left with is his latest movie’s soundtrack, cute suddenly transforms to cacophony. And it’ll bring you back to that hazy garage.

The “Scott Pilgrim” soundtrack would be more appropriately titled “sounds from musically inept sixteen-year-olds.”

Amid a backdrop of typical punk guitar chords, Cera’s fictional band Sex Bomb-Omb croons to the ladies on “Garbage Truck” (and multiple other tracks):

“I’ll take you for a ride/ On my garbage truck/ Oh no, I’ll take you to the dump/ ’Cause you’re my queen.”

Okay, so they’re good for a laugh. Beck wrote the simplistic jams based on some “crappy fake lyrics,” — and crappy fake lyrics comprise 30 percent of the tracks.

But that’s not to say the compilation completely lacks musical legitimacy. “Under My Thumb” is an obvious Rolling Stones classic, and Beck’s “Ramona” encourages listeners to whip out their acoustics for an emotionally charged sing-a-long.

Underneath all the punk novelty is a layer of nerdy angst almost as endearing as Cera. And while you may respect and applaud that nerdy angst for breaking into the mainstream ear, you’d probably stuff it into the same dusty case as ‘N Sync’s “No Strings Attached” after a few listens.