'White Collar' Season 2 preview

dah

After a (literally) explosive finale to a charming and sometimes even thrilling first season, USA’s first major fall-launched series settles into the network’s typical cozy summer schedule with a cast member returning and major questions about the ongoing story arcs.

But for the most part, people probably only care about “White Collar” star Matthew Bomer’s pearly whites and baby blues.

In case you have forgotten, Season 1 ended with Bomer’s thief-turned-FBI-liaison Neal watching the love of his life, Kate, blow up in an airplane after a series of story beats that involved random artifacts, dirty FBI agents and one terrible mid-season cliffhanger.

Wishful thinking wants the series’ mythology to go boom with Kate once Season 2 arrives because it was both more boring than the weekly procedural case and often muddled with unnecessary turns. Oddly, while most major USA series are light on mythology and have fans craving for more, Season 1 of “White Collar” spent almost too much time on the conspiracies that kept Neal from his thieving gal.

The series deserves props for aiming a little higher, but the chemistry between Bomer and Tim DeKay is enough to keep most episodes afloat, and for once, I find myself crying for more simple, procedural fare.

No matter what kind of stories we’ll see this summer, expect much more of Marsha Thomason’s Agent Lancing, who appeared in the pilot episode, randomly disappeared thereafter before suddenly appearing in the finale. After all that nonsense, Thomason’s a regular this year.

Meanwhile, the Bomer-DeKay boys club is getting even more shots of feminine charm, as “One Tree Hill”’s Hilarie Burton will have a recurring role as an insurance adjuster with a little bit of a grudge against Bomer’s Neal.

Of course, expect tons of skinny ties, flashy suits and situations that allow for Bomer to look really damn cool. And that’s just fine with me.