IU student films in national competition

Six IU filmmaking teams will compete against the best student cinematographers in the world this weekend at the 2010 Campus MovieFest International Grande Finale in Las Vegas.

The IGF, which runs June 10 to 13, is the final round of the ninth annual Campus MovieFest, the largest student film festival in the world.

Each year, Campus MovieFest provides student participants with HD movie cameras, AT&T Samsung phones and Apple laptop computers equipped with professional movie editing software, giving the filmmakers only one week to direct, shoot and edit a five-minute short film.

This year, close to 75,000 students participated, but only 240 student films have earned the right to be screened at the International Grand Finale — six of which were written and produced by IU students.

The six films include “Coda,” created by Team Books Are For Dummies; “Alphabet,” created by Team Charlie and Cloud 9 Productions; “Giggles,” created by Bright Cat Films, an N’Ovation production; “Parallel Lines,” written and directed by Steve Castro and Jeremy Michael Haynes; “This is Not Twilight,” created by Spaghetti and Sauerkraut Productions; and “Sports Car Caravan,” a TV250 production. All the films are on YouTube.

The IGF will take place at the Wynn Las Vegas, a five-star hotel on the Vegas strip.

The four-day event will give students an opportunity to showcase their films on a national stage as well as introduce them to industry professionals, Campus MovieFest Co-Founder Dan Costa said.

During the weekend, students will take part in workshop sessions led by high-achieving writers, actors, directors, producers and musicians, in which they will be advised on key skills needed to succeed in the industry. Workshop topics will include secrets  to becoming a successful director, Costa said.

Three grand prize winners will be awarded Best Drama, Best Comedy and Best Picture of the festival and will earn an exclusive meeting with some of Hollywood’s finest to receive feedback on their latest ideas.

IU senior and project manager for the film “Giggles,” Jon Stante, said his team entered this year’s CMF with a competitive mind, planning the shoot weeks in advance.

“If the film goes no farther, if nothing else, this is a huge honor, to be selected and to be recognized,” said Stante of “Giggles,” an abstract film that parallels a young girl’s imaginary friend with her abusive father. “To be selected as one of the top 16 in the school and then one of the top 16 in the region is a huge honor.”

IU recent graduate Joey Mattucci worked alongside a group of friends to create “This is Not Twilight,” which he described as a fun, ridiculous, over-the-top vampire movie. He echoed Stante’s remarks and said his excitement for the IGF is indescribable.

“It is something small, yet so big for me and everyone who worked on it,” Mattucci said, who slept only six hours in the five days it took them to finish the movie. “In the grand scheme of life, this is one of the important moments because it’s something that a good group of friends got to create together. I feel like a little kid in a candy store.”