Track of dreams: IU renovates Billy Hayes track

The philosophy of the newly renovated Earl C. “Billy” Hayes Track is simple.

“If you build it, they will come,” IU coach Ron Helmer said. 

This phrase embodies the hope echoed throughout the IU track and field community — that the renovations to the outdoor track facility will make the school a Midwestern hub for the most talented athletes in the world.

“Our intentions when we installed this were to have an area that would be a central point in the United States where college or USA Track and Field would want to bring meets,” Assistant Athletic Director for Facilities Chuck Crabb said. “We were looking for as fast a track as legally possible.”

Although changes have been made to the infield and scoreboard, the focal point of renovations to The Robert C. Haugh Track & Field Complex is the new Polytan surface which replaces the old Mondo track.

Events and Facilities Manager Jay Arthur explained that the new Polytan surface, made of polyurethane, has several advantages over the Mondo.

“In addition to polyurethane being the surface all the world records are being broken on, if we need to down the road, this can be fixed without tearing the whole thing out,” Arthur said. “If you have a Mondo track, your option is to tear that Mondo out and put new Mondo down.”

Crabb agrees that although the Mondo track was good for a period of time, it had reached its expiration. He said the new Polytan can be expected to last upward of 40 years if maintained properly.

“The two-part rubber track we had previously, outstanding as it was, there’s no denying that,” Crabb said. “Witness the times of every Olymplics dating back to 1988 that’s been on Mondo surface. But, it’s a surface that tends to compact over time.

“We took our Mondo Super X to the extent of its lifespan, so it became too hard.”

This renovation project comes on the heels of several other facility upgrades around campus since Athletics Director Fred Glass started his tenure. But unlike the North End Zone in Memorial Stadium or the Cook Hall basketball facility, the renovation to Billy Hayes track comes with a relatively small price tag. Crabb said the renovation will be completed slightly under the anticipated $1.5 million budget.

For now, the entire staff is eager to show off their new facility. 

This weekend the new track will play host to the annual Billy Hayes Invitational, and the 2010 Big Ten Championships will take place  May 14-16. IU is also currently finalizing negotiations to host the 2010 Junior National Championships, an event which attracts the top college prospects every Olympic year.

Three-time Olympian, world record-holder and former IU runner Bob Kennedy once referred to IU’s track as one of the best he had ever competed on. It is the hope that the new track will get the same recognition as the old surface did from elite runners around the world.

“If we have people turning fast times, everyone in the world is going to want to run on it,” Arthur said.