TOP’s double feature combines past, present

“Project P: The Property Line Punch-Out” began in an old-time theater and ended in a modern backyard, with bodies dropping dead throughout the show. Last weekend at the John Waldron Arts Center in the Rose Firebay, Theatre of the People’s productions of “Aria da Capo” and “A Sandcastle in the Sky” told different stories of different times, but of similar problems with the same results.

For the show, TOP combined the satiric stories of two shepherds who lose sight of their friendship and two neighbors who lose any chance for a peaceful suburban life.

In “Aria da Capo,” shepherds get carried away with their roles when a game goes awry. The actors face tragic consequences, but not before getting a few laughs from the audience first.

Next, “A Sandcastle in the Sky” displayed the antics of Jane and Joe as they fought for backyard space. The antics quickly turned to attacks, however, as the conflict spun out of control.

Sarah Leaffer, a freshman at Bloomington High School South, said the plays were appropriately matched with each other.

“I think it was really cool to put in a classic play and a new play together,” Leaffer said.

“I think they all blended well together. ‘Aria da Capo’ was definitely funny. And for ‘Sandcastle in the Sky,’ David Nosko is a great director. I was pretty excited to watch the show, and I wasn’t disappointed.”

Bloomington resident Barb Black said her favorite aspect of the show was the artistry behind it.

“It was very imaginative and creative and funny,” Black said.

As with all TOP shows, audience members could leave a feedback card after the performance so shows can improve over time.

However, that feedback meant something more to the cast of “Sandcastle.” The play was written by Bloomington playwright Albert Powell, and TOP premiered it last weekend. In addition, the cast will perform the play again in August in an effort to get the play published.

“In order to get a play published, you need to have three showings, so each of those three times we’ll improve it more and more,” co-director and sophomore Suzie Zimmermansaid.

Fellow sophomoreand co-director Molly Rose said performances have been going well so far.

“Opening night was good,” she said. “We had a good crowd, lots of friends and family, so there was very supportive

energy, and it just made us feel really good about the material we were doing. A crowd always brings something different, so that’s always interesting to see what they find funny and things like that.”