Time for Tiger to quit living a lie

Masters Golf

Well, here goes any attempt at a return to normalcy for Tiger Woods, if you want to even call it that. This doesn’t follow the storyline; it’s not supposed to end like this. Augusta National isn’t where fairy tales, or in this case horror tales, get even more sour.

It’s supposed to be where the cloaking of the green jacket trumps the struggles and finishes of a feel–good story, even if it’s something as dark and morbid as the Tiger Woods story.

Let’s say Tiger does proceed to claim his fifth green jacket this Sunday at the Masters.

Even in the midst of the dogwoods along Magnolia Lane and setting sun along the Augusta tree line, it will go down as a weekend remembered for seclusion, what could have been and what was not.

And how truly sad it will be. A perfect ending could have been written to this tragedy.

It was right there for the taking, even after Tiger botched his life and marriage for some amount of time still yet to be determined.

He announced his return would be at Augusta, which was where it had to be. The Masters has that aurora, that special gallery and that unique atmosphere where, for four days, golf is more than a game. There’s no heckling. There’s no media-hounding.

But now, and worst of all, there’s no closure. From when Tiger announced he would play at the Masters in late March to just before his press conference Monday, it looked like he might have finally come around. Maybe this wasn’t just a recovering sex addict but a recovering control freak.

Just when it looked like Tiger was going to come clean, come open, he again shut the door on the truth and buried what must come out for his sake and the sake of the rest of touring professionals.

He was close. But at Augusta, close doesn’t cut it.

Tiger is making strides in his fan relationships, which is good.
We know that what Tiger isn’t doing is telling us what we don’t know and what will give closure to the last few months.

“I made a conscious decision to try and tone down my negative outbursts, and consequently, I’m sure my positive outbursts be will calmed down as well,” Woods said.

Okay, good intro. Now, let’s get to why we came.

When asked about the infamous Thanksgiving night car accident, Tiger again backed away.

“The police investigated the accident and they cited me 166 bucks, and it’s a closed case,” Woods said.

Still waiting.

This is where the problem lies. Why not 10, 15 or even just five minutes of what he hasn’t said? That’s all we want and all we need to finally put an end to this debacle.
Tiger could have shut the door on this daunting and possibly dooming past. He’s taking baby steps, but for the most famous and recognized athlete across the globe, it’s not enough.

To steal a line from Happy Gilmore, “Gold jacket, green jacket, who gives a (expletive).”

Breaking Jack Nicklaus’ record of 18 major championships or not, this one isn’t going away — not until Tiger allows it to by stepping out of his comfort zone and acting as the controlled for once.

Whether it’s stubbornness or nervousness isn’t important. It’s what has to be done not only for himself and his future but also the rest of the field.

“I know that the players over the past few months have been bombarded with questions by all of you and the public as well, and I would like to tell all of the players, hopefully after today, after answering questions at this press conference, the players can be left alone to focus on the Masters and focus on their game, not only for this week, but going forward as well,” Woods said. “And I certainly apologize to all of them for having to endure what they have had to endure the past few months.”

Again, more of the same. And until Tiger realizes what he continues to dig himself into, it’s only going to get worse. He’s close; the opportunity is still there.

But that doesn’t cut it.