Escape the madness

Map of Bloomington

Don’t feel like spending the next few days bombed out of your mind and cheering as someone bongs another beer or makes another lap around the track? Leave the insanity behind and check out other fun activities that are just as — if not more — entertaining when sober.

In Indianapolis: There’s always plenty to do in our state’s capital — art and history museums, the zoo, pro sports teams, not to mention restaurants, clubs and bars galore. This weekend in particular will see the 20th annual Earth Day Indiana festival at White River State Park. With 130 entrepreneurs, activists, organizations and other companies, as well as live music, this full-day event is fun for anyone who’s eco-friendly.

In Nashville: Anyone who wants a “Taste of Brown County” can sample dishes from more than 20 restaurants and shops for only a dollar each at this annual festival. For nature lovers, the 24th Annual Wildflower Foray offers hikes, art and other activities. If you’re not a total teetotaler, the annual Indiana Wine Fair will feature drinks from more than two dozen Hoosier wineries, as well as a concert with Jacobs School of Music students and faculty titled “Wine and all that Jazz.”

In Martinsville: Just kidding. No one wants to go to Martinsville.

In French Lick: Foodies will have a blast at French Lick Resort and Casino’s Culinary Classic Dinner Event, where they can receive lessons from five of the Midwest’s top chefs, complete with a fabulous dinner at the end of the day. Or you can just partake in the casino’s weekly pool party (with tropical drinks and a live DJ), shopping, bowling, arcade games, horseback and carriage rides, canoeing, hiking or — just for kicks — a bike ride.

In Bloomington: Even if you’re stuck in town, there’s no shortage of other activities, on-campus or off. Arts lovers can check out the latest Department of Theater and Drama musical, “A Little Night Music,” The Kinsey Institute’s new exhibit, “A Collector’s Vision,” or the Latin American Music Center’s “Echoes” performance at Auer Hall. We all know where most of the sports fans will be, but if Little 500 isn’t your cup of tea, the Hoosiers will face off against rival teams in water polo (men’s and women’s), softball, tennis (men’s) and golf (men’s) at home this weekend.