sports water polo

Division title at stake between conference rivals

Water Polo

Every time the Hoosiers and Wolverines compete in a sporting event, it draws attention among fans.

Water polo is no exception.

Every meeting between IU and Michigan tells a story.

The Hoosiers and Wolverines have met three times during the past two seasons. Michigan won each of those games by one goal, includ­ing a 7-6 victory in Bloomington on March 6.

This weekend, the story will continue as IU travels to Ann Arbor, Mich., to determine the regular season title in the Collegiate Water Polo Association Western Division.

IU coach Barry King said something big was “just around the corner” after the No. 16 Hoosiers cruised in the Fluid Five tournament last weekend at home, 4-0.

Though he knows the game will be on Big Ten Network on Saturday night, King said he would not let it overwhelm his players or change his ice-cool coaching style.

“This weekend is definitely special for us,” King said. “We only have one game, but the importance of it is needless to say. Michigan beat us in our last few competitions, and it hurts a lot. It’s a really good team.”

In its last meeting at IU, No. 8 Michigan rallied with three goals in the final quarter.
After the game, King said the Hoosiers needed to learn how to handle the lead down the stretch.

This time, King said he knows what to expect.

“This will not be an easy game for either of us,” he said. “We both want to win the season title, and we both want to go to division championship. For us, the challenge is bigger because we are lower ranked and we are traveling to their pool.”